About Us

Established in 1896, Nu Sigma Nu at the Perelman School of Medicine is a co-ed medical fraternity. NSN members are a diverse group of Penn Med Students representing all 4 (but usually 5) years of medical school. We promote camaraderie between med students and serve the medical school by holding large, annual social events. We also regularly offer our house as a venue for the Medical Student Government and other student organizations to hold their own social events.

The Nu is a four-story house located right in the heart of Penn's campus. We are conveniently located 10 minutes from the medical school and hospitals and right in front of the Septa and Penn bus stops. We boast large common rooms and spaces, a functioning party basement, a full kitchen with 4 large fridges, 10 private bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a Victorian library, and a driveway for 6 cars.

History

Nu Sigma Nu is the oldest of American medical fraternities. Although fraternities have been known to American universities since the establishment of Phi Beta Kappa in 1776, they did not become active on the medical campus until 1882 with the establishment of Nu Sigma Nu at the University of Michigan. According to one of the founders of the Nu, Charles M. Frye, the exact date of the organization is found to be March 2, 1882. That evening, five men met in the room of F.C. Bailey. They were Bailey, W.J. Mayo, C.M. Frye, B.G. Strong, and R.D. Stephens. One of the founders, William James Mayo, went on to become a world-renowned surgeon and one of the seven founders of the Mayo Clinic. From Alpha Chapter at Ann Arbor, Nu Sigma Nu had extended to 45 four-year medical schools throughout the United States and Canada by circa 1953. Currently, only four active chapters remain.

Nu Sigma Nu, Lambda Chapter, was first established at the University of Pennsylvania in 1896. The organization purchased its current establishment on 3904 Spruce Street for a sum no greater than $25,600 on November 7, 1921, where it has remained ever since.

First Class Photo